Thursday, January 10, 2008

Books Read in December 2007

This list is late and short, but it's here. And it's short because two of the books, Alias Grace and Bellefleur, are quite long -- and maybe also because I was home for three weeks and a bit distracted what with all the shopping; general racing around; hanging out with Mom & Dad; crashing monster trucks with my nephew, Michael; being crafty with my niece, Elaine; and driving a car and NOT riding in a bus.

Anyhoooo, here's what I read in December:

Margaret Atwood: Alias Grace
David Henry Hwang: M. Butterfly
John Le Carré: The Looking Glass War
Joyce Carol Oates: Bellefleur

January preview: I've just finished Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl, lent to me by my super-awesome friend Kim (formerly known as Hut Girl). I didn't love every minute of this book. Sometimes the narrator got on my nerves, particularly with her excessive use of similes, and though her precocity at times swerved towards nauseating, it never actually turned my stomach. In all, this novel rocks.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read that, but I do have a long quotation from it on my office door, from pages 11 & 12 (sent me by someone who did read it), which begins "Is there anything more glorious than a professor?" It's at times like this (when I'm writing my syllabi for the new semster), that it has its strongest resonance.

Hugh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home